History‎ > ‎

Torver Census Records

What follows is an analysis of the 10 yearly census records for 
Torver 
from 1841 t0 1911, researched by Tony Hacking of Ellis Howe.
We offer our great thanks to Tony for his excellent work.



Torver Village Census Records 

The purpose of this exercise is to present the Torver census data in a way that 
may indicate any patterns in how Torver has evolved between 1841 and 1911.


Census year

Number of houses

Population

1801


182

1811


204

1821


263

1831


224

1841

54 (inc.10 unoccupied)

199

1851

51 (inc 10 unoccupied)

211

1861

51 (inc 9 unoccupied)

193

1871

51 (inc 9 unoccupied)

211

1881

47(inc 4 unoccupied)

202

1891

47 (inc 9 unoccupied)

176

1901

43 (inc 1 unoccupied)

207

1911

41 *

167


*The 1911 census did not record unoccupied houses.
The first three lines above (1801 to 1831) are included for the population numbers - all the information available.



Observations on the Census Reports.

The census summaries are based upon the roughly circular route taken by the 1851.

The principal occupation of each household is recorded. Where other occupations occur in the household the additional occupation is noted. For the majority of the entries one occupation is sufficient. (Later editions of the census summaries may include the numbers of workers in that occupation as well as the numbers of ‘Scholars’).


1841 Census
Much of this census is very faded so is not included. However the number of entries is detectable so the number of houses and the population can be recorded. Some property names can be read but a complete picture cannot be built up.


1851 Census
The census enumerator records the properties in a sequential route around the village. This will form the basis of a template to record the information from subsequent census records.


1861 Census
‘Township and Chapelry of Torver 1861

The whole of the Township and Chapelry of Torver including Hoathwaite, Grassgards, High Stile, Brackenbarrow, Emlin hall, Park Ground, Sunnybank, Beckstones, Green rigg, Garth Nook, Mill, Hazel Hall, Groves ground, Bank and Southerstead, Moor, Brocklebank ground, Undercragg, Scarhead, Low Torver Park, Tranneth House, Crook, Church House, High Torver Park, Ellice How Cottage, Rosley Thorns, Bridge House, Dalton Gate Crossing, Hollace.


1881 Census
Inconsistent recording and visiting pattern make difficulties in identifying some locations. E.g Two separate Grass Guards properties appear in different parts of the census. An unnamed property follows on from Sunny Bank entry which could be presumed to be Beck Stones. A number of properties are not named. 


1891 Census
Boundary – being the whole of the civil township of Torver

Content comprises Hoathwaite, The Rectory, Grass Guards, Brackenbarrow, High Stile, Rosley Thorns, Emlin Hall, The Mill, Beckstones, Sunny Bank, Park Ground, The Moor, Ellice How Cottage, Hollows, Station House, Crook, Low Torver Park, High Torver Park, Church House, Carr Cottage (Smithy House, Beer House) Undercragg, Undercragg, Brocklebank Ground, dalton Road crossing, Souterstead, Green Rigg, Hazel Hall, Garth Nook, Rose Hill, Greaves Ground, Bank End, Tranneth, Scar Head, Bridge House, Cragg Cottage, Railway company’s House (Platelayer’sHouse)

The 1891 census enumerator seemed to have covered the parish in several visits as some of the properties are recorded geographically close but the next batch did not necessarily follow on. This makes it difficult to place accurately some newer properties in the right place.

Recording the acreage of farms has been discontinued.

Some house names have changed.
Mill House to The Mill
Moor Farm to Moor
Grove’s Ground to Greaves Ground
Trannarth House to Trannath
Hollace to Hollows
Railway Station to Station House
Carr Cottages gaining names Smithy House and Beer House.

The enumerator has taken care to record unoccupied properties although the flexible accommodation of some properties is unremarked eg Scarr Head, Carr Cottages and Green Rigg have in the past been recorded as a different number of premises.


1901 Census
Some properties are either not recorded or have ceased to be habitable. Garth Nook and Hollace/Hollows. The Larches make their appearance.

A significant number of quarrymen are recorded.


1911 Census
A different format with a separate form for each household means that unoccupied houses are not registered. A number of properties do not appear in this census.

Beckstones, Garth Nook, Grass Guards, Carr Cottages, some Green Rigg cottages although Green Cottages appear.

Bridge House has become Brigg House. The population is less that other census returns with many more retired or widowed inhabitants. Fewer quarrymen are recorded with the population being much more varied in occupation.



Ċ
Hideous Dwarf,
Sep 10, 2013, 9:22 AM